What ‘Deaf’ Means To Me - Amanda McDonough

What ‘Deaf’ means to me with Amanda McDonough.

Deaf activist, actress and Youtuber Amanda McDonough discussion and conversation questions about "What "Deaf" Means to Me" she wanted to talk about something she have been thinking a lot about recently and that is the word "DEAF." Now she grew up in hearing culture in the United States.

To activate this feature, press the "CC" button.

I grew up with hearing family, hearing friends, going to a mainstream school and I didn't have access to signing. I didn't have access to Deaf people and... So, growing up for me that word "DEAF" scared me, because for me, before, that meant that I was going to lose my hearing. That meant that I was going to lose access to oral communication. That meant I might lose my family and my friends. That was scary for me. It was really scary. And it wasn't until after I became physically Deaf that I started searching for people like me and I started searching for a better way to communicate. And I found that in Deaf Culture, in sign language, in the Deaf community.

Now that i am a proud Deaf woman that word death means something so different to me. So, I wanted to share with you what word "DEAF" means to me now.

Now the word "DEAF" means strength. It means having the strength to accept yourself for who you really are. It also means support; having the support of the Deaf community. Having people around me that understand what i go through every single day, all of my struggles. They understand me, they really understand. It also means communication, because now I have this beautiful language that I can always understand I don't have have to struggle with and I have access to communication through new technology like VoIP and oh captioned phones. Different things that help me communicate better. It also, lastly, means intelligence. Why? Because deaf people; we have to be able to think creatively. We have to be able to think outside the box so that we can create new solutions to problems that we have, that don't depend on hearing, and that takes intelligence. So, this is what my new meaning of the word "DEAF" is.

What does "DEAF" mean to you?

SOURCE

Follow @AmandaMcDonough
Subscribe - https://youtube.com/channel/amandamcdonough
Facebook - https://facebook.com/officialamandamcdonough
Twitter - https://twitter.com/actingamanda
IMDb - http://imdb.me/amandamcdonough
Instagram - https://instagram.com/amanda_mcdonough/
Official Website - http://amanda-mcdonough.com

Related Amanda McDonough:
DeafNation World Expo - Amanda McDonough
Myths or Facts: Can Deaf People Drive ?
Facts & Myths About Deaf People
Myths & Facts About Deaf Children
5 Deaf Myths Busted With Amanda McDonough

Featured Post

The Most Googled Questions About Being Deaf

Do not make the work of Deaf YouVideo content look like your own. Give credit where it is due and requires that articles be based on reliable published sources.

Posts Archive

Most Viewed Last 7 Days

Most Viewed Last 30 Days

Most Viewed Of All Time

That Deaf Guy Comic

About This Site

Deaf YouVideo is public web site and a free assessment for everyone. A public web site is a web site that you can use to have a presence on the internet. It is a public facing site to attract customers and partners, and it usually includes increase traffic. Feel free to exploring the online community - Deaf, Hearing-Impairment, Hearing-Loss, Sign Language, News, Events, Societies, Resources, Links, Videos, Vloggers and much more. Be sure to Bookmarks this website.

Submitted content, to whom it may concern of posting on this site: YouPrivacy


Videos and Channels Powered By YouTube

RSS Feed Content

Deaf YouVideo provided by YouTube, Blogger, Google Feedburner, RSS Feed are a way for websites large and small to distribute their content as well beyond just visitors using browsers. The feed icon feeds permit subscription to regular updates, delivered automatically via a web portal, news reader vlogs or blogs and etc. Submitted content and/or disabled by request consume content and will be immediately removed from Deaf YouVideo. If you see the content appears "error, blank, and feed not support", click home or refresh your browsers.

Powered by FeedBurner

Copyright © 2020 Deaf YouVideo All Rights Reserved.
Deaf YouVideo. Powered by Blogger.
 
page contents